Planning & Development

  • 1


The Town of Vulcan is Open for Business!!!

Industrial Land

Conveniently located between the major cities of Calgary and Lethbridge on Highway 23, consider the Town of Vulcan for industrial use.   The Town of Vulcan currently has unserviced industrial lots for sale.


Vulcan has a commercial sector that is viable to small and mid-size businesses. 

The Chamber of Commerce provides information and services to businesses within the community to make Vulcan a strong and vibrant place to work and live.

If you are considering the Town of Vulcan for your business location, the Town of Vulcan has created a New Business Welcome Package containing information about Vulcan and the resources available to you.  In this package you will find important phone numbers, general information, available services and resources beneficial to you.

Check out the Town of Vulcan’s Tax Incentive Policy if you are considering a new business in Town or expanding your current business!!

Looking for a place to live with that small Town atmosphere and values with amenities – consider the Town of Vulcan!


Currently a large subdivision is underway and is surrounded by the Town’s 18-hole golf course.  The Fairways has desirable walkout lots and lots backing onto the golf course.  For more information go to

If an adult community is what you desire, contact The Whispering Creek Condominium Complex at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The “established” residential areas offer a variety of homes on large lots.

Development Permits

Most construction, signs, business licensing & change of use requires a development permit.  The Land Use Bylaw outlines the types of development allowed in each land use district and the rules and regulations governing them.  A development permit ensures that the new development in the Town of Vulcan is suited to the surrounding area and meets the requirements of the Land Use Bylaw.

Not all proposed development requires a development permit such as smaller sheds and fences.  It is best to confirm with the Town Office whether you need a permit for the development you are considering.

If a proposed use is listed as discretionary within the applicable land use district or a waiver beyond 10% of the requirement is requested, the application will be forwarded to the Municipal Planning Commission (MPC) for consideration and the adjacent landowners will be notified of the application.  The MPC meets on the second Tuesday of every month. 



In addition to a development permit, some projects may require additional permits for safety codes, i.e. building, plumbing, gas and electrical.

A building permit can be regarded as formal permission from the Town to begin construction, demolition, addition or renovation to a property.

Electrical, Plumbing and Gas permits are issued by the Town’s Safety Codes Officer and authorizes construction.  In the interest of public safety and as required by the Safety Codes Act, all electrical, plumbing and gas installations require a permit and must be acquired prior to undertaking any work.  Inspections are also a legal requirement of the Safety Codes Act, ensuring that the construction meets the requirements of the appropriate Safety Code and is as per the specifications outlined in the permit application.

Permits are issued through the Town Office.  Superior Safety Codes Inc. is contracted by the Town of Vulcan for inspections services for building, plumbing, electrical and gas. 



As of January 1, 2019, Section 638.2 the Municipal Government Act (MGA) requires municipalities to publish and maintain a complete list of documents that may be relied upon for decision-making by a development authority, a subdivision authority, subdivision and appeal board, or the Municipal Government Board (MGB), when it comes to rendering decisions on planning and development matters.

All local statutory plans must be aligned with the Provincial South Saskatchewan Regional Plan.

Planning Hierarchy

Bylaw 1484-19 - Vulcan County & Town of Vulcan Intermunicipal Plan

Bylaw 1464-17 Vulcan Municipal Development Plan Consolidated

Bylaw 1358-08 - Town of Vulcan Prairie View Estates Area Structure Plan

Bylaw 1437-15 - Town of Vulcan Land Use Bylaw


To view the Town of Vulcan Statutory documents click on the images above or go up to the Statutory Plans box shown above.



Raising Chickens in Alberta - A guide for small flock owners

Alberta Farm Care

Canadian Food Inspection Agency

Premises Identification (PID) - All flock owners are required to have this


For questions or information on Development & Permitting:

Town of Vulcan

Rita Hovde - Development Officer


This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

For Safety Code questions or to book an inspection regarding Building, Electrical, Plumbing and Gas Permits:

Superior Safety Codes – 1-888-717-2344

For Questions or Information on Planning and Subdivision:

Oldman River Regional Services Commission:

Kattie Schlamp - Planner

3105-16th Ave North

Lethbridge, AB  T1H 5E8

Phone:  (403)329-1344

Town of Vulcan

We boast great health services, accommodations, recreation, attractions, schools, professional and personal services just to name a few. We invite you to explore Vulcan’s frontier, a community that offers you an experience from out of this world!

Mayor Tom Grant


This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
 321 – 2nd Street South
After Hours On Call #

Keep in Touch