Planning & Development

  • New Business Welcome Package

    New Business Welcome Package

  • MPC Meeting Schedule

    MPC Meeting Date Calender 2019

  • Development Permit Forms and Fees

    Application for Land Use Bylaw or Statutory Plan Amendment

    Development Permit App

    Development Permit Fees

    Form 1A Major Development

    Form 1B New Residential

    Form 1C Accessory Bldg Structure

    Form 1D Signage

    Form 1E Change of Use

    Form 1F Application for Variance-Relaxation

    Form 1G Home Occupation

  • Development Permits Issued/Pending


  • Planning By-Laws

    Planning By-Laws

  • Statutory Plans

    Vulcan Town MDP 00-1259 November 2000

    Vulcan Town Prairie Vista ASP Bylaw 1358-08  February 2010

  • Planning Studies

    Industrial Lands Strategy – Final Report 2017

  • Maps

    Zoning Map.Town of Vulcan LUB 1437-15 April 27 2015

  • Compliance Certificates

    Compliance Certificate Request Form

  • Building, Plumbing, Gas & Electrical Permit Forms & Fees

    Building Permit Application

    Building Permit Fees

    Electrical Contractor Permit Application

    Electrical Homeowner Permit Application

    Electrical Permit Fees

    Gas Contractor Permit Application

    Gas Homeowner Permit Application

    Gas Permit Fees

    Plumbing Contractor Permit Application

    Plumbing Homeowner Permit Application

    Plumbing Permit Fees

  • Frequently asked questions

    What is a Compliance Certificate?

    A compliance certificate is usually required by lending agencies and/or lawyers in the sale of property and/or mortgage approval in order to protect their clients’ investments.  .  A Compliance Certificate is not a legislative requirement, it is a service provided by the Town of Vulcan for a fee.  A Compliance Certificate provides confirmation that all buildings and structures are in compliance with the Town’s Land Use Bylaw. 

    To apply for a compliance certificate, two copies of a Real Property Report no older than 5 years is to be provided to the Town together with the required fee.  Compliance will be issued depending on whether there are any non-compliant or non-conforming buildings or structures within the property.  There may be follow-up required with the Development Officer to obtain permits or approvals for identified non-compliant buildings or structures.

    Where do I find a survey company?

    All Alberta Land Surveyors are listed on the Alberta Land Surveyors Association website

    What type of work requires a permit?

    The Safety Codes Act requires that all contractors and homeowners in Alberta obtain permits prior to commencing work on buildings covered by the Alberta Building Code or work governed by the Canadian Electrical Code, the Alberta Gas Code or the Alberta Plumbing Code.

    What are the benefits of obtaining a permit?

    The major benefits of obtaining a permit are knowing that the installation will conform to the safety standards that have been adopted under the Safety Codes Act, and that inspection(s) will be provided by certified safety codes officers.

    When is a permit is not required?

    Building permits are not required for minor repairs and replacements that do not affect the structural integrity of a building. Some of the projects that do not require a permit include:

    • Re-insulating or adding insulation
    • Window or door replacement providing the opening is not enlarged
    • Repair or replacement of plumbing fixtures
    • Re-roofing, except where structural work is not involved
    • Minor exterior repairs

    A building permit is not required for sheds under 100 sq ft, however, all sheds must adhere to setback requirements as per the Land Use Bylaw.

    What is a Land Use Bylaw?

    The Land Use Bylaw divides the Town into land use districts and establishes procedures for processing and deciding upon development applications.  It regulates the use and development of both land and buildings within the municipality, in order to ensure orderly, efficient development.

    What is the difference between a “permitted use” and “discretionary use”.

    When applying for a development permit for a permitted use, the development officer has the authority to approve the development permit.  If the use being for applied for is “discretionary”, the development permit application is required to be advertised and the application brought before the Municipal Planning Commission for approval.  Upon approval or denial, there is an appeal period in which anyone affected by the approval/denial can appeal the decision of the MPC.

    What is the Municipal Planning Commission?

    The Municipal Planning Commission consists of two Town Councilors and four members-at-large.  The MPC meets once a month.  MPC’s role is to:

    • Advise Council in achieving orderly and beneficial development of land
    • Make recommendations to Council on all planning related bylaws in the redesignation of land, land use bylaw amendments and the Municipal Development Plan
    • Act as the subdivision and development approval authority
    • Make recommendations to Council on other policy and strategic planning processes and documents
  • 1


The Town of Vulcan is Open for Business!!!

Industrial Land

Conveniently located between the major cities of Calgary and Lethbridge on Highway 23, consider the Town of Vulcan for industrial use.   The Town of Vulcan currently has unserviced industrial lots for sale.


Vulcan has a commercial sector that is viable to small and mid-size businesses. 

The Chamber of Commerce and the Vulcan Brand Innovation Team (VBIT) are all working to make Vulcan a strong and vibrant place to work and live.

If you are considering the Town of Vulcan for your business location, the Town of Vulcan has created a New Business Welcome Package containing information about Vulcan and the resources available to you.  In this package you will find important phone numbers, general information, available services and resources beneficial to you.

Check out the Town of Vulcan’s Tax Incentive Policy if you are considering a new business in Town or expanding your current business!!

Looking for a place to live with that small Town atmosphere and values with amenities – consider the Town of Vulcan!


Currently a large subdivision is underway and is surrounded by the Town’s 18-hole golf course.  The Fairways has desirable walkout lots and lots backing onto the golf course.  For more information go to

If an adult community is what you desire, check out The Whispering Creek Condominium Complex at www.whispering This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

The “established” residential areas offer a variety of homes on large lots.

Development Permits

Most construction, signs, business licensing & change of use requires a development permit.  The Land Use Bylaw outlines the types of development allowed in each land use district and the rules and regulations governing them.  A development permit ensures that the new development in the Town of Vulcan is suited to the surrounding area and meets the requirements of the Land Use Bylaw.

Not all proposed development requires a development permit such as smaller sheds and fences.  It is best to confirm with the Town Office whether you need a permit for the development you are considering.

If a proposed use is listed as discretionary within the applicable land use district or a waiver beyond 10% of the requirement is requested, the application will be forwarded to the Municipal Planning Commission (MPC) for consideration and the adjacent landowners will be notified of the application.  The MPC meets on the third Tuesday of every month. 



In addition to a development permit, some projects may require additional permits for safety codes, i.e. building, plumbing, gas and electrical.

A building permit can be regarded as formal permission from the Town to begin construction, demolition, addition or renovation to a property.

Electrical, Plumbing and Gas permits are issued by the Town’s Safety Codes Officer and authorizes construction.  In the interest of public safety and as required by the Safety Codes Act, all electrical, plumbing and gas installations require a permit and must be acquired prior to undertaking any work.  Inspections are also a legal requirement of the Safety Codes Act, ensuring that the construction meets the requirements of the appropriate Safety Code and is as per the specifications outlined in the permit application.

Permits are issued through the Town Office.  Superior Safety Codes Inc. is contracted by the Town of Vulcan for inspections services for building, plumbing, electrical and gas. 


For questions or information on Development & Permitting:

Town of Vulcan

Nancy Neufeld – Development Officer


This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

For Safety Code questions or to book an inspection regarding Building, Electrical, Plumbing and Gas Permits:

Superior Safety Codes – 1-888-717-2344

For Questions or Information on Planning and Subdivision:

Oldman River Regional Services Commission:

Ryan Dyck – Planner

3105-16th Ave North

Lethbridge, AB  T1H 5E8

Phone:  (403)329-1344

Town of Vulcan

We boast great health services, accommodations, recreation, attractions, schools, professional and personal services just to name a few. We invite you to explore Vulcan’s frontier, a community that offers you an experience from out of this world!

Mayor Tom Grant


This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
 321 – 2nd Street South

Keep in Touch